Friday, March 18, 2011

324. The Very Best of Linda Ronsdadt. Easy to listen to, hard to spell







Album: The Very Best of Linda Ronsdadt
Artist: Linda Ronsdadt
Year: 2002
Genre: Pop


Tracks


  1. You're No Good
  2. It's So Easy
  3. Blue Bayou
  4. Don't Know Much
  5. Somewhere Out There
  6. When Will I Be Loved
  7. (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave
  8. Different Drum
  9. Poor Poor Pitiful Me
  10. The Tracks of My Tears
  11. After the Gold Rush
  12. Long Long Time
  13. Just One Look
  14. Heart Like a Wheel
  15. Back in the U.S.A.
  16. That'll Be the Day
  17. Hurt So Bad
  18. All My Life
  19. Ooo Baby Baby
  20. The Blue Train
  21. How Do I Make You
  22. Desperado
  23. Winter Light




It turns out I know a hell of a lot more Linda Rondstadt than I thought I did. Prior to my encounter with this album I thought she was just a girl with a nice voice and a difficult to spell surname. Having given her greatest hits a detailed listen I’m surprised to discover I’m intimately familiar with a lot of her work and deserves my respect.


I know some of her songs because she appeared on The Muppets. As far as I’m concerned being a guest on the original Muppet Show is an instant increase in kudos. If Jim Henson liked you then you’re okay with me. I had no idea I knew Blue Bayou until I heard this and realised that she sang it on The Muppet Show. I had no idea I knew Somewhere Out There until I encountered it at track 5 and realised it’s the song that my wife often sings around the house (and very well I might add).


There are other tracks that I know well because they’re popular covers, Heatwave was instantly recognizable as was Tracks of my tears and Back in the USA. The surprise of the disc was track 11 which I instantly recognised but took a while to place as After the Goldrush by Neil Young.


The other reason to respect Linda is her political activism. She regularly spoke out against George Bush’s presidency during her solo shows. Fans intending to see that nice lady sing those nice songs received a brief but definite condemnation of their president. No doubt her manager was begging her not to stick her neck out and alienate fans but she stuck to her guns because her values mattered more than the value of her ticket sales. You can’t help but respect her for that.


But let’s not allow any of this to overshadow the fact that Rondstadt has a great voice. She’s an outstanding singer who can deliver original material and covers with an individual style. Respect.


Highlight: Tracks of my Tears
Lowlight: Hurt so Much


Influenced by: Country singers, showtunes and Neil Young.
Influenced: Female vocalists everywhere.


Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "There's no reason to omit the Top 10 hit "How Do I Make You?" from 1980. It would have easily fit on the disc. As it is, this collection is incomplete."


-Linda's fans seem very picky. This guy gave the disc one star just because it left off one song. (And as a side note her fans seem to suffer from SHOUTY CAPS LOCK SYNDROME even more than most amazon reviewers. Someone should write a psychology thesis analyzing what it is about Linda's music that makes her fans want to type exclusively in capitals)


So does Linda do nothing for your OR IS SHE THE GREATEST THING EVER. Let me know below

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Thought I would read nothing but condemnation on this album. Have enjoyed Linda since I first heard her cover of the old Merseysound song Youre No Good in 1974. Good to see straight out Pop can still make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to let you know that you mis-spelled Linda Ronstadt's name.

    ReplyDelete