Wednesday, May 11, 2011

310. Blood Sugar Sex Magik- where we parted ways.



Album: Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Artist: The Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Year: 1991
Genre: Rock

Tracks

  1. The Power of Equality" – 4:03
  2. If You Have to Ask" – 3:37
  3. Breaking the Girl" – 4:55
  4. Funky Monks" – 5:23
  5. Suck My Kiss" – 3:37
  6. I Could Have Lied" – 4:04
  7. Mellowship Slinky in B Major" – 4:00
  8. The Righteous & the Wicked" – 4:08
  9. Give It Away" – 4:43
  10. Blood Sugar Sex Magik" – 4:31
  11. Under the Bridge" – 4:24
  12. Naked in the Rain" – 4:26
  13. Apache Rose Peacock" – 4:42
  14. The Greeting Song" – 3:13
  15. My Lovely Man" – 4:39
  16. Sir Psycho Sexy" – 8:17
  17. They're Red Hot" (Robert Johnson) – 1:12

Prior to the release of this album I was a big fan of the Chilli Peppers. I loved Mother’s Milk and was eager to hear this release when it came out. I bought it on cassette. Remember cassettes? I had this album on that sad old outdated format. When I first heard this album I had to get up halfway through in order to turn it over to play the other side.

With the expcetion of the tape-flip thing my reactions to Blood Sugar Sex Magic are the same today as they were then. There are a few great songs, a lot of filler and one song that made me angry.

The great songs were turned into singles. Suck my Kiss and Give it Away are good funky and rock and roll. People who call the Red Hot Chilli Peppers funk have clearly never heard anything George Clinton has recorded but their definitely influenced by Parliament and give their albums a funkier edge. They're great songs and go off live like a frog in a sock (even though the Peppers are known for putting things in socks other than frogs, do a google image search if you don't know what I'm talking about).

The track that bugged me then was Under the Bridge. To me Under the Bridge was a sell-out by the Peppers who were making a blatant grab at the pop-charts. It was a dull ballad just like all the other dull ballads kicking around on radio. While I was annoyed, the public was impressed and it helped propel the band to further heights and continued chart hits. The band had found their blueprint for success and I lost interest as did guitarist John Frusciante who left in disappointment (only to come back later when money called).

Listening to it today I still enjoy it’s highpoints and Under the Bridge doesn’t annoy me like it did when I was an angry disillusioned 18 year old. But the one thing that has stayed consistent is the lyrical ability of Anthony Keidis who wrotes the worst lyrics of anyone alive. His clumsy attempts to marry sexual prowess with spirituality and depth have produced some of the most embarrassingly bad examples of lyrical pointlessless ever committed to CD (or cassette tape for that matter). If you like their later work then this is probably as far into their back catalogue as you'll enjoy straying. If you love their early stuff then this is the Rubicon which you wish they never crossed.

Highlight: Give it Away
Lowlight: Sir Psycho Sexy

Influenced by: George Clinton.
Influenced: Musically- not a lot, financially- later RHCP albums.

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "It will unequivocally surprise some people to hear me say this, but it's only rational to think, "This is explicitly or implicitly expressed or presupposed in most of the material I plan to present". Without going into all the gory details, let's just say that any rational argument must acknowledge this. Red Hot Chili Peppers's heinous slimy smears, naturally, do not. Try as I may, I can't understand why Red Hot Chili Peppers would want to instill distrust and thereby create a need for its devious views. I challenge Red Hot Chili Peppers to point out any text in this review that proposes that no one is smart enough to see through its transparent lies. It isn't there. There's neither a hint nor a suggestion of such a thing."

-And it goes on. And on and on.

So is this album sexy magik or did it make you bleed from the ears?

1 comment:

  1. I actually happen to love this album! And the overall sound quality of the mastering is light years better than their latter releases. In fact, it is one of the very best examples of high sound quality on a compact disc in my entire collection!

    ReplyDelete