Tuesday, June 7, 2011

302 The Marshal Mathers LP. Eminem lets you know what he’s thinking by saying rhyming things quickly.





Album: The Marshal Mathers LP
Artist: Eminem
Year: 2000
Genre: Rap


1. Public Service Announcement 2000
2. Kill You
3. Stan
4. Paul
5. Who Knew
6. Steve Berman
7. The Way I Am
8. The Real Slim Shady
9. Remember Me?
10. I'm Back
11. Marshall Mathers
12. Ken Kaniff
13. Drug Ballad
14. Amityville
15. Bitch Please II
16. Kim
17. Under the Influence
18. Criminal


I know I shouldn’t keep comparing people to Bob Dylan but it’s hard not to sometimes. The thing with Bob is that the guy is basically a bit of a mystery. He’s released 33 studio albums, a series of live releases and bootlegs and even an autobiography but we still don’t know what the man thinks. Does Dylan like junk food? How does he feel about the works of Alfred Hitchcock? Do the Simpsons make him laugh? Has he ever read Harry Potter? Does he like going to the zoo? Does he understand cricket? Has he got an iphone? After almost 50 years in the public eye we’re still not sure if Dylan is a practicing Jew, a bible believing Christian or a covert atheist. He’s a bit of a man of mystery.

The same can’t be said about Eminem. We know pretty much everything there is to know about the great white rapper because his albums are basically an obsessive recounting of everything he thinks about every topic under the sun. We know what he thinks about music critics (he doesn’t like them), his ex-wife (he doesn’t like her), his mother (he’s not really a fan), the music industry (which he doesn’t rate very highly), Boy Bands (he’d probably give them about a 2 out of 10), Insane Clown Posse (who he cares for less than boy bands), Homosexuals (Eminem says no), drugs (Eminem says yes) and American society in general (it’s fair to say he struggles to fit in). Basically Eminem likes drugs and isn’t much of a fan of anyone else.

I may be doing the guy an injustice but The Marshall Mathers LP presents an artist who is as self-obsessed as he is bitter. Which means if you struggle to get on his wavelength the album is kind of a hard thing to deal with. I share his view on Boy Bands and I’m no fan of the music industry but I’ve never met his wife or his mother, music critics don’t annoy me, I’ve never heard any Insane Clown Posse and I’m more anti homophobia than homosexuals. We’re not really on the same wavelength.

If you’re going to lay yourself bare in your lyrics then it doesn't hurt to come across as likeable in the process. It’s disturbing that a guy who is basically a hate-fueled, misogynist homophobe found so many people who felt he was giving voice to their own opinions.

Oh and if you’re interested he says things quickly with lots of rhymes.

Highlight: The Real Slim Shady
Lowlight: Skits. It's always the damn skits.

Influenced by: Dr Dre, drugs and dysfunction.
Influenced: Angry white boys.


Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "What the Hell is this? A white guy that is rapping and wanting to be black, what a race traitor."

-Race traitor? Who uses the term "race traitor?" I can't help but picture this reviewer writing from beneath a big white hood.

So is eminem your spokesman or would you rather distance yourself from him entirely? Let me know below.

1 comment:

  1. I of course love Eminem. Haha. When I was younger, he was like the forbidden fruit I couldn't have. And now... well, the CD I got when I was younger? My parents threw it away for good reason -- this CD is creepy as hell. And I loved it.

    Yeah, Eminem is mostly a love-or-hate guy and a deciding factor could definitely be not what he says, but how he says it. I'm sure your indifference to hip-hop music didn't help.


    Still, nice to read an educated look at him.

    ReplyDelete