Friday, July 22, 2011

289 Call Me. Saving your Soul



Album: Call Me
Artist: Al Green
Year: 1973
Genre: Soul

Tracks

1. Call Me (Come Back Home)
2. Have You Been Making Out O.K.
3. Stand Up
4. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
5. Your Love Is Like The Morning Sun
6. Here I Am (Come And Take Me)
7. Funny How Time Slips Away
8. You Ought To Be With Me
9. Jesus Is Waiting



I don’t know what your views are on church and religion in general. You may be someone who goes to a place of worship every week or you mightn't have set foot in one since the last time you went to a funeral. Either way I’m sure we can all agree that christian worship could only be improved if the guy in charge was a soul-legend. Al Green might have made his name as a singer of soulful tunes but he now makes a living preaching the Gospel in a church . I can only imagine what a service would be like with Green in charge. You can bet there’s no long and boring notices about church fetes. Instead there’d be singing and dancing and ecstacy and the sort of fun that true Anglicans have no business having.


The good news is that in addition to preaching the Good news, Green is happy to go on the road and sing some soulful music as well. He’s still going strong after all these years and from all reports is capable of delivering the sort of show that could make nuns boogie. Personally I’m glad he still tours because Al definitely fires in a live setting. I've listened to Call Me several times and I have to say it leaves me fairly unnafected. It’s just too slick and produced and orchestrated and doesn’t move me. But the same tracks live are fantastic. On the road with a funky band instead of a string section these songs really come alive. It's the sort of music that needs the energy of an audience to bounce off and not the cold hard walls of a studio.


Influenced by: God
Influenced: Justin Timberlake apparently.


Highlight: Call me
Lowlight: You ought to be with me.


Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "The package it came in was not a regular cd case. I like a case because it is more solid than a paper case. It doesnt have as many good songs on it as i thought it did"


-Is this person suggesting the two things are related? Are they trying to imply that a lot of the good songs fell off because the inferior paper casing was incapable of keeping them on?




-So would you call Al or would you hang up if he rang? Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment