Sunday, July 10, 2011

293. Simon and Garfunkles Greatest Hits


Album: Greatest Hits
Artist: Simon and Garfunkle
Genre: Folky pop
Year: 1972

Tracks

  1. Mrs. Robinson
  2. For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her (live)
  3. The Boxer
  4. The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) (live)
  5. The Sounds of Silence
  6. I Am a Rock
  7. Scarborough Fair/Canticle
  8. Homeward Bound (live)
  9. Bridge over Troubled Water
  10. America
  11. Kathy's Song
  12. El Condor Pasa (If I Could)
  13. Bookends
  14. Cecilia

I'm sorry but this is really kind of silly. Don't get me wrong I've got nothing against Simon and Garfunkle, far from it, but I don't understand why this album is here. This is a one record compilation of S and G's greatest hits that compiles 14 songs from their short career into two sides of vinyl. It's no exaggeration to say that every song on this release is an absolute stone-belter and a brilliant piece of perfect pop songwriting and production. Bridge over Troubled Water is one of the greatest vocal performances in all of pop and anyone who doesn't like most of the other tracks on this release is a strange barrel of pickles indeed. But why is it here?

Many of these tracks appear on the full albums by S and G that appear later on in the countdown. In fact there are only three songs that make this release that don't come from Bookends, Bridge over Troubled Water or Parsly Sage Rosemarey and Thyme, all of which are coming in the top 500 list. For some reason Simon and Garfunkle can have legitimate releases included in the countdown and also clog up another place with a greatest hits compilation.

I wouldn't mind so much except this doesn't even include Hazy Shade of Winter. Which means it's a greatest hits compilation that doesn't even include one of their all time greatest hits. Silliness.

Simon and Garfunkle only released 5 albums in their short career and all except the first one are worth having and listening to in their entirety. As a compilation this has been superseded by subsequent releases which are far more comprehensive. It's appearance on the list is just massive failure in every sense of the word.

Influenced by: Bob Dylan.
Influenced: Bob Dylan (apparently, and not many contemporary artists did)

Highlight: The Whole thing.
Lowlight: The fact that it's here on the countdown

Favourite Customer Review Quote: "I once had a friend (he quickly turned into an @$$hole but that's off-topic) who thought I was insane because I like Simon & Garfunkel. His logic was along the lines of "If it's not crushingly loud, it sucks". As I walked away, I told him he should expand his musical horizons. He gave me the finger and called me some things that should never be mentioned on a family website."

-Amazon. A great place to work through your personal issues.

So what album would you have included instead of this one? What work of greatness was left off so Simon and Garfunkle could have tracks on the countdown twice? Let me know below.

2 comments:

  1. How about the debut by the stone roses or summerteeth by Wilco- both criminal omissions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard Summerteeth. I should give it a listen sometime. But I agree 100% about the Stone Roses. NME magazine can name it the Greatest British album ever made and it can appear in the top ten of a dozen other lists but for some reason Rolling Stone can ignore it completely.

    ReplyDelete