Tuesday, August 23, 2011

281. Can't get enough- Trying not to giggle.



Album: Can't get enough
Artist: Barry White
Year: 1974
Genre: Soul

Tracks


1. Mellow Mood (Pt. 1)
2. You're The First, The Last, My Everything
3. I Can't Believe You Love Me
4. Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe
5. Oh Love, Well We Finally Made It
6. I Love You More Than Anything (In This World Girl)
7. Mellow Mood (Pt. 2)


It's only when you sit down and listen to a Barry White album all the way through that you realise just how brilliant Flight of the Conchords really was. It's impossible to hear Germaine Clement sing Business Time without being impressed at how he's got Barry's voice and persona down to a note-perfect impression. Sadly the traffic flows in the other direction as well. It's now not possible for me to hear Barry without the words "It's business, it's business time" in my head. If I manage to exorcise New Zealand's finest from my mind for a minute then the image of Barry's Simspon's appearance kicks in and I find myself turning his heartfelt declarations of love for his woman into "I love the sexy slither of a lady snake." On the odd occasions when I can completely clear my head of both these images an old Lenny Henry routine about how Barry's voice is so low it can penetrate the deepest parts of the ocean immediately jumps to the forefront of my mind ("Can you hear that music? I can, I love Barry White and I'm a fish!") Even Barry's nickname (The Walrus of Love) is intrinsically hilarious.

There's just something about Barry that's kind of hard to take seriously. I think part of it might be because he's just so comical but so earnest at the same time. His voice is kind of funny and that spoken seduction thing he does is so easy to gently mock. But on Can't Get Enough he's taking himself so seriously. The opening minutes of I can't Believe You Love Me are a spoken introduction and it sounds like someone doing a Barry White parody. I know that it's not, I know it's actually Barry but somehow he's become so easy to mock that even the original seems like someone poking fun.

There's no doubt however that Can't get Enough of Your Love is a great song. It's his signature tune and deservedly so. Credit should go to Barry for writing, arranging, producing and singing a timeless classic.

Barry White might be easy to mock and a breeze to parody but it's important to realise that he's never been effectively copied. He's endured people poking fun over the years but has never seen anyone step up and do what he does better than he can. He's a true original and one  to be admired (between giggles).

Influenced by: Loooove, the sweeet looove of a beautiful lady
Influenced: Lots of comedians

Highlight: Can't get enough of your love
Lowlight: I can't believe you love me

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "berry white music has always played a big part of my boyfriends life and mine after working all week on fridays we both relax with good music and a little wine and berrys cds make it all complete white sister and white brother"

-I thought the first "berry" was a typo but after the second I'm wondering if it's a strange nickname. Odd

So can you get enough or have you had your fill? Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment