Tuesday, September 20, 2011

273 The Slim Shady LP. Still not really a nice guy.



Album: The Slim Shady LP
Artist: Eminem
Year: 1999
Genre: Hip Hop

Tracks

  1. Public Service Announcement
  2. My Name Is
  3. Guilty Conscience
  4. Brain Damage
  5. Paul
  6. If I Had
  7. '97 Bonnie & Clyde
  8. Bitch
  9. Role Model
  10. Lounge
  11. My Fault
  12. Ken Kaniff
  13. Cum On Everybody
  14. Rock Bottom
  15. Just Don't Give A Fuck
  16. Soap
  17. As The World Turns
  18. I'm Shady
  19. Bad Meets Evil
  20. Still Don't Give A Fuck
There's a band that don't appear on this countdown called The Barenaked Ladies, a Canadian group who had a small measure of success in the nineties. Their signature tune is a catchy ditty called If I had a Million dollars The following is a list of some of the things the Barenaked Ladies would  do if they had a Million Dollars:

Buy you a house complete with furniture and a car. Build a tree fort. Buy a fake fur coat, an exotic pet and the remains of the elephant man. They would also like to buy a green dress, some art and a monkey.

The following is from the song called If I had by Eminem:

"But if I had a million dollars
I'd buy a damn brewery, and turn the planet into alcoholics
If I had a magic wand, I'd make the world suck my dick
without a condom on, while I'm on the john
If I had a million bucks
it wouldn't be enough, because I'd still be out
robbing armored trucks
If I had one wish
I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss"

If you think Eminem's lines are hilarious and sum up your views on life then he's the guy for you. If you thought the Barenaked Ladies lines were kind of charming then I'd suggest Eminem is not your thing. Eminem doesn't really have a middle ground. You either find his vitriol speaks directly to soul or goes against everything you stand for. The world can be divided into Eminem fans and everyone else.

Personally I'm a fan of the Barenaked Ladies. They're daggy, nerdy, geeky, overweight, goofy and a lot of fun (or at least they were for a while). They're not rocking any boats, breaking any taboos or scaring any mothers but they still released some great albums back before the started to take themselves too seriously.

Having said that Eminem deserves full credit for what he was able to achieve. He strode confidently into a world in which white people had no credibility and managed to become a huge success. He's been on top of the hip hop world for over a decade now which is no small achievement. My hat's off to the guy.

The Slim Shady LP documents Eminems' desire to be a millionaire. Now that he's achieved that aim I hope he's happy but something tells me he isn't. I'd be interested to know if he has bought that brewery and how the "turn the world into alcoholics" plan is working out.

Highlight: My Name is
Lowlight: Any track that goes for under a minute.

Influenced by: A desire to aquire wealth
Influenced: Millions of teenage boys all over the world to open their wallets.

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "This Cd hasn't been released yet, and all we've heard is "My Name Is". But this guy has potential."

-So you gave the album four stars based on the one single you'd heard? Seriously people, listen to the album at least once before you jump on Amazon.

So is Eminem worth a Million Dollars or nothing at all? Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment