Sunday, October 23, 2011

265. Cosmo's factory- Creedence where Creedence is due



Album: Cosmo's Factory
Artist: CCR
Year: 1970
Genre: Rock

Tracks: 

  1. Ramble Tamble
  2. Before You Accuse Me
  3. Travelin' Band
  4. Ooby Dooby
  5. Lookin' Out My Back Door
  6. Run Through the Jungle
  7. Up Around the Bend
  8. My Baby Left Me
  9. Who'll Stop the Rain
  10. I Heard It Through the Grapevine
  11. Long as I Can See the Light

I work with a guy who doesn't like Creedence Clearwater Revival. In all other respects he's a normal guy, he's definitely human, he's in possession of working ears, he's not deliberately obtuse or rebellious and he shows no other outward signs of mental instability. He likes rock and roll but for some reason he holds no truck with Fogerty and friends. I could understand someone who hates guitars and can only tolerate classical music not being a big fan but if you've got any albums in your collection that feature drums, bass and guitar you must have some love for Creedence surely?

I struggle to understand what's not to like. Is it the catchy rhythms? The well-crafted songs? The heartfelt vocals? The well chosen covers? What's the problem?

The one complaint that I could see anyone having with CCR is their tendency to stretch out longer than some would consider strictly necessary. I heard it through the Grapevine clocks in at a healthy 11 minutes. If you're the sort of person who thinks anything over five minutes is self indulgent then I can understand your issues. But then you've still got the perfectly crafted pop of Run through the Jungle, Lookin out my back door and Who'll stop the Rain, which on their own would be enough to make Cosmo's factory a great album.

Personally I'm a big fan. There's not a dud song and as far as I'm concerned there's not an ounce of excess flab anywhere in the 11 minutes it takes the band to sing about communications received on fruit-bearing plantlife.

Highlight: I heard it through the Grapevine
Lowlight: Ooby Dooby

Influenced by: The Blues
Influenced: The Yardbirds

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "It sounds as clear and crisp as it did when I was 13!"

-Of course it's entirely possible that the reviewer was 14 at the time of writing.

So would you happily work in Cosmo's Factory or would you hand in your notice after track one? Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment