Thursday, January 12, 2012

242. The Jerry Lee Lewis Anthology. All Killer No Filler



Album: All Killer no Filler
Artist: Jerry Lee Lewis
Genre: Rock and Roll
Year: 1993

Tracks

  1. Crazy Arms
  2. End of the Road
  3. It'll Be Me
  4. All Night Long
  5. Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin On
  6. You Win Again
  7. Great Balls of Fire
  8. Down the Line
  9. Breathless
  10. High School Confidential
  11. Break Up
  12. In the Mood
  13. I'm on Fire
  14. Money (That's What I Want)
  15. Another Place, Another Time
  16. What's Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made a Loser Out of Me)
  17. She Still Comes Around
  18. To Make Love Sweeter for You
  19. Don't Let Me Cross Over
  20. One Has My Name (The Other Has My Heart)
  21. Invitation to Your Party
  22. She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye
  23. One Minute Past Eternity
  24. I Can't Seem to Say Goodbye
  25. Once More With Feeling
  26. There Must Be More to Love than This
  27. Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
  28. Touching Home
  29. Would You Take Another Chance on Me
  30. Chantilly Lace
  31. No Headstone on My Grave
  32. Drinkin' Wine, Spo-Dee-O-Dee
  33. Sometimes a Memory Ain't Enough
  34. Meat Man
  35. He Can't Fill My Shoes
  36. Let's Put It Back Together Again
  37. Middle Age Crazy
  38. Come on In
  39. I'll Find It Where I Can
  40. Over the Rainbow
  41. Thirty-Nine and Holding
  42. Rockin' My Life Away

Look it may seem obvious to say this but don't marry your cousin. Seriously. If you're in the marrying mood and looking around for someone to tie the knot with, try and avoid anyone who shares a grandparent. But if you're the sort who doesn't get out much and believes in preserving family ties, and you absolutely can't resist hauling a close relative up the aisle, for God's sake make sure she's not 13 years old. There is absolutely no positive spin you can put on a marriage to the daughter of one of your uncles if she's only just entered her teenage years, it's a union to be avoided at all costs.

If you want to know what happens when you fail to take my advice, check out the career of Jerry Lee Lewis who started 1958 as a Rock and Roll hero but ended it in disgrace when it was discovered his third wife was his Dad's sister's little girl, and I do mean little. The rock world wasn't ready for their hero's unique blend of pedophilia and incest and record labels dropped him quicker than he dropped his previous two wives and his career was killed of quicker than wives four (drowned) and five (OD).

Okay reading that back it's clear I've stopped going reviews and started writing gossip columns but I point it out because it's fascinating how a rock star can be rehabilitated. Lewis went from being untouchable in the fifties to a national hero in the eighties. In between his career was so bad he was reduced to recording country albums but it only took 26 years or so for the public to forget they hated him and embrace him as a hero. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and revered as an elder statesmen.

You don't get to enjoy that kind of rehabilitation if there was no reason for you to be adored in the first place. If your reputation was built on sand then trying to rebuild your career after a scandal is always going to fail. All Killer No Filler is the best argument for appreciating Jerry Lee Lewis as the legend he is. The man could turn a sedate piano into a fiery instrument of joy, he could belt out a tune and rock a house unlike anyone else. Great Balls of Fire is a brilliant tune and one of many great rockers on two discs that really are full of killer tracks without any filler.

There's some advice for you ladies and gentlemen. If you are going to marry a 13 year old member of your immediate family, make sure you record a timeless body of work first- you'll be back in the public's good books before your wife is middle aged.

Highlight: Great Balls of Fire
Lowlight: One Has My Name (The Other Has My Heart)

Influenced by: Rock and Roll, Alcohol and the gospel
Influenced: Anyone rocking out on a piano

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "Even if you ain't no Jerry Lee fan, I think you would be after listening to this collection. Bet you can't keep your feet still! This makes my pants want to get up and dance!!!"

-I wonder if that works a defence in an indecent exposure charge: "I'm sorry office but my pants got up to dance and left me behind"

So is this more killer than filler? Let me know below

No comments:

Post a Comment