Wednesday, February 15, 2012

234 The Ultimate Collection. InClined towards country.



Album: The Ultimate Collection etc
Artist: Patsy Cline
Year: Some time after her death
Genre: Country and Western

Tracks:

Lots of songs by Patsy Cline.

I have to confess I haven't actually heard this album. I know I've said I'd listen to every album on this countdown at least four times but sadly I couldn't get my hands on The Ultimate Collection. The good news is that I could find The Definitive Collection, The Patsy Cline Collection and several other greatest hits compilations. I could also get my hands on the two studio albums that she released in her life but this particular compilation has been lost in the flood  greatest hits collections that actually outnumber songs she recorded.

It doesn't matter really because the album placed at number 234 isn't really The Ultimate collection it's just a location to put Patsy herself. Patsy clearly deserves some placement and if it's not this CD then it would be another group of her music which all pretty much contain the same collection of songs. Patsy is the Queen of country music and her untimely death in a plane crash at the age of thirty took away one  of the genre's great voices. Any woman who sings country owes a huge debt to Cline who towers over the genre like a collossus and whose musical influence can't possible be denied.

God I hate her music though. Country and Western- blah! I never want to hear this again. I feel about as connected to this warbling as I do to any anecdote about baseballers from the 1920's. Country has it's fans- I'm not one of them. Western has it's adherents- their ranks do not include me. Lets move on.

Highlight: That track where she sings about country
Lowlight: The other track where she sings about western.

Influenced by: The prairie, the wild frontier, horses, cows etc
Influenced: Go into any bar in the deep south, throw a stone at the stage and you'll hit someone influenced by Patsy Cline. Then please repeat until they're all wiped out.

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "WITH ALL THE LAME ELECTRONIC HIP HOP AND ALTERNATIVE OF TODAY, ITS SO REFRESHING TO HEAR 'REAL MUSIC" LIKE PATSY CLINE"

-It's not enough to diss current music you have to shout about it too.

So could you find this album or would you rather it stayed hidden? Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment