Wednesday, February 8, 2012

236. The Who sing My Generation. Yes. Yes they do.



Album: The Who Sings My Generation
Artist: The Who
Year: 1965
Genre: Rock

Tracks
  1. Out in the Street
  2. I Don't Mind
  3. The Good's Gone
  4. La-La-La-Lies
  5. Much Too Much
  6. My Generation
  7. The Kids Are Alright
  8. Please, Please, Please
  9. It's Not True
  10. I'm a Man
  11. A Legal Matter
  12. The Ox

I love the fact that the title of this album is such a great statement of the bleeding obvious. Yes, you're correct, The Who do sing My Generation, well spotted Mr Title Creator, they do indeed sing that song. It could also have been called The Who Look Moody in Photographs, The Who Like a Good Party or The Who Vary Greatly in Appearance From Classically Good Looking to Ugly With a Massive Hooter.

The title however is an indication of the type of album this is. It's one of those quick, knock-off albums that record companies churned out in the sixties in order to capatalize on the success of a big hit. The band had released My Generation as a single and it was a huge success. The label knew there was every chance that people who bought the single would fork out for an LP so they threw the band into the studio and demanded they come up with enough material to fill an album. They didn't really care about the quality of the tracks and they didn't need to be original, just as long as there were two sides of vinyl in the can and the words My Generation somewhere on the cover. The same thing happened to the Beatles who recorded their first album in a day after Please Please Me became their first chart success.

Consequently there's much on this album that rates as basic filler. The Kids are Alright is a fantastic piece of sixties pop/rock but the two great tracks are padded out with some quick covers (I'm a man, I don't Mind, Please Please Please) a few throwaway compositions (Out in the street, The Goods Gone, Much to much, It's not true, a Legal Matter) and even that old filler standby- an instrumental (The Ox).

It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination but The Who Sings My Generation makes you appreciate just how good the Beatles were. It's an impressive trick when even your filler tracks are great.

Highlight: Apparently the Who sings My Generation on this album
Lowlight: A legal Matter

Influenced by: The Beatles and the Stones
Influenced: Mods (Bless them)

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "Harbors the first bass solo in rock, and sounds incredibly heavy."

-Really? The first bass solo in rock? Can anyone verify that?

So are the Kids alright or would you throw them out in the street. Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment