Wednesday, February 1, 2012

238. Can't by a Thrill. Can't even rent one.



Album: Can't buy a thrill
Artist: Steely Dan
Year: 1972
Genre: Rock

Tracks

  1. Do It Again
  2. Dirty Work
  3. Kings
  4. Midnite Cruiser
  5. Only a Fool Would Say That
  6. Reelin' in the Years
  7. Fire in the Hole
  8. Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me)
  9. Change of the Guard
  10. Turn That Heartbeat Over Again

Steely Dan are really polished. My are they a polished entity. They're the sort of lads who have clearly put the hard yards into the rehearsal process. They're not just showing up and winging things, they don't wander into the studio with four chords under their belt, they're the kind of guy who play scales for three hours before recording a note. When they finally come to record they make sure everything is in it's right place and nobody is doing anything crazy like being influenced by a sudden urge to improvise.

Consequently Can't Buy A Thrill sounds like a very talented collection of people gathering together to make music that is just a bit dull and lifeless. It's all very slick and all but you can see why punks especially regard Steely Dan as the punchline to a lot of jokes. I'm not saying it's bad by any stretch of the imagination. Unlike some of their other releases it's quite a strong set of songs and doesn't grate on the nerves.

Apprently live Steely Dan is much better than their studio output. True fans of the Dan tell me that they come into their own in a live setting. Normally when I discover this about a band I scurry to find some live albums to enjoy. With Steely Dan I thought "Nah, this isn't something I can be bothered actively seeking out"

Steely Dan- Polished and rehearsed but not really very thrilling.

Influenced by: Jazz
Influenced: Tedious rock and roll.

Highlight: Dirty Work
Lowlight: Only a fool will say that

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "Some of the other lyrics to the non-mainstream songs have typical 70's lyrics and sound (the bad 70's!!!)"

-I love the idea that there is a bad seventies and a good seventies.

So are you a Dan fan? Let me know below

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am! Though I haven't gotten myself into this one yet (I like their next one, "Countdown to Ecstasy" better)

    ReplyDelete