Friday, March 9, 2012

227 Paid in full. It don't mean a thing if it aint got that bling.



Album: Paid in full
Artist: Eric B and Rakim
Genre: Rap
Year: 1987

Tracks
  1. I Ain't No Joke
  2. Eric B Is On The Cut
  3. My Melody
  4. I Know You Got Soul
  5. Move The Crowd
  6. Paid In Full
  7. As The Rhyme Goes On
  8. Chinese Arithmetic
  9. Eric B Is President
  10. Extended Beat

I've learnt a lot about Rap while writing this blog. When I started I knew I didn't like it much but I knew I hadn't really listened to a huge amount. I accepted the fact that there was music out there that called itself rap and I might have really enjoyed if only I gave it a chance. 

My ignorance was such that I didn't even know who Eric B or Rakim were. Apparently they've released an album widely regarded as one of the greatest rap albums of all time. In fact it's part of the Golden Era of Hip Hop, a cheery few years which saw Rap's finest moments and is viewed with ardent nostalgia by people who are into this sort of thing. 

In reading about Rakim and his rapping I've discovered he pioneered the notion of internal rhyme in rap. He didn't invent the concept but he was the first one to have a crack at it into a microphone while someone put samples behind him. For those not up with poetic terms, internal rhyming is the practice of rhyming inside a couplet rather than just at the end of it: 

Let me take the time,
to write a standard rhyme.

One rhyme there at the end of the line. But internal rhyming looks like this:

Let me take the time, in rhyme to go and show,
verse which isn't any worse than any other styles you know

In addition to the rhymes at the end there are rhymes in the middle called internal rhymes.

Rakim was the first rapper to do that. 

He pioneered it. 

Apparently that's an important thing.

Today I learned something new about rap.

But it still bores me rigid, internal rhymes or not.

Highlight: Love that internal Rhyming.
Lowlight: Sam (yawn) pling.

Influenced by: Grandmaster Flash
Influenced: Rap guys, You know the ones. Rappers. Them guy.

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "Rhyming every syllable(i start to think/and then i sink into the paper/like i was ink),"

-Correct me if I'm wrong but rhyming every syllable would limit the rapper to using words like "Ta-da!" which might lose impact if that's all he said for an entire album.

So have you paid in full or are there still debts owing? Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment