Saturday, April 7, 2012

219 Loveless A happy alternative



Album: Loveless
Artist: My Bloody Valentine
Year: 1991
Genre: Rock

Tracks

  1. Only Shallow
  2. Loomer
  3. Touched
  4. To Here Knows When
  5. When You Sleep
  6. I Only Said
  7. Come in Alone
  8. Sometimes
  9. Blown a Wish
  10. What You Want
  11. Soon


I have to say Loveless comes as something of a relief. Before this album came along it had been 32 albums since we'd had a rock and roll release from the 1990's or beyond. The countdown was starting to feel a bit dated. Personally I'm a big fan of music recorded by dead people (when they were alive obviously, Zombie rock is a genre I've yet to encounter) but from time to time it's nice to get something a bit modern as a relief.

Although it had to be said the relief did wear off a bit after a while. A few tracks in fact. The music on Loveless is usually described as "shoegazing" which is a fairly adequate description. It's droney and distorted and frequently in the same tempo with the same sense of over arching enui that makes it hard for the listener to lift their heads. It gets repetive fairly quickly and eventually I found myself gazing at my shoes because they're what I see just before my head droops and I nod off.

As far as I'm concerned rock and roll should take me away from my shoes and not draw me to them.  I know what my shoes look like (they're leathery and black) and once I've put them on in the morning they don't require any more attention from me until I take them off at the end of the day. Music shouldn't have me gazing shoeward. Music should make me tap my toes so much my shoes are a blur, or it should have me dancing so much they make quick passes through my peripheral vision several times a second. Music should move my focus to the sky with my hands raised in rapture or shake my head with elation. If music has me staring down at my feet in search of interest it's not doing what I want it to.

Loveless is great if shoegazing is what you're into. But if your boots are made for walking and not for watching you might want to search elsewhere for your musical thrills.

Highlight: Touched
Lowlight: Blown a wish

Influenced by: Shoes.
Influenced: Footwear choices

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "This music is so stupid and weird not in a good unique way but just an uncomfortable way like when you are at someone's house and you don't like them and want to go home but you can't and you probably have to spend the night in their living room"

-What a strangely charming point of comparison.

So is this a night in the living room of someone you despise or not? Let me know below.





1 comment:

  1. Soooo dreammmmmy... love it!!!

    ReplyDelete