Wednesday, August 15, 2012

182. Natty Dread. Back to reggaeland.



Album: Natty Dread
Artist: Bob Marley and the Wailers
Genre: Reggae
Year: 1975

Tracks
  1. Lively Up Yourself
  2. No Woman, No Cry
  3. Them Belly Full (But We Hungry)
  4. Rebel Music (3 O'Clock Roadblock)
  5. So Jah S'eh
  6. Natty Dread
  7. Bend Down Low
  8. Talkin' Blues
  9. Revolution

A documentary movie named Marley was recently released to considerable critical acclaim. It was apparently a brilliant study of the the life of reggae's biggest superstar that didn't shy away from presenting the legend as a man and not just a musical genius. From the sound of it, Marley is an excellent way of getting under the skin of Bob which is something I think I need to do to appreciate his music.

I'm a great believer in appreciating the context music comes from. Someone once said analyzing comedy is like dissecting a frog, nobody laughs and the frog dies. Studying music however never fails to give me a great appreciation of where it came from and what the artist is trying to achieve. I need to get a handle on Bob Marley, who he was and what drove him. It also wouldn't hurt me to get more of an understanding of rastafarian culture (which must involve more than just a hat).

I just can't get into reggae. It leaves me kind of cold. I know I said that last time I reviewed some Marley and nothing has really changed. I don't really have a huge amount that's new to say except that Lively Up Yourself is fun (and also the least reggae track here). I still find No Woman No Cry really dull.

I missed Marley when it hit the cinemas but it must be due for a DVD release soon. When it's out I promise to try and track it down before I have to review my next Marley release. Hopefully then I'll write a review which is more than just "Reggae- Meh" which is what I've churned out this time.

Influenced by: Bob Marley's life (which I should know more about)
Influenced: All reggae. The whole thing.

Highlight: Lively up yourself
Lowlight: So Jah s'eh

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "Who remastered it? It sure wasn't Bob"

-Yes I think we can rule him out of the equation, him and everyone else who is technically dead.

So do you Dread this album or is it just Natty? Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment