Tuesday, September 4, 2012

176 Rocks. Or not.



Album: Rocks
Artist: Aerosmith
Year: 1976
Genre: Rock

Tracks


1. Back in the Saddle
2. Last Child
3. Rats in the Cellar
4. Combination
5. Sick as a Dog
6. Nobody's Fault
7. Get the Lead Out
8. Lick and a Promise
9. Home Tonight

Albums like this make me think I should apologise and throw this entire blogging experience in. I'm clearly totally out of touch with the world as a whole and not qualified to write about my own offspring let alone someone else's musical output. I should pack up and stop wasting all your time.

Aerosmith's previous album was called Toys in the Attic and I'd take it over this any day of the week. Toys has their best and second best song (Sweet Emotion and Walk This Way although I can't decide which is which) and a bunch of other tracks that are also brilliant. To my mind it's far and away their best album and the band's high water mark. 

But everyone else disagrees.

Toys in the attic is at 228 on the countdown and Rocks is here fifty places higher. People are generally fond of Toys but they rave about Rocks as being among the greatest things ever. It apparently kick-started the career of every hard rocker who played music in the last 30 years and was a huge influenced on everyone from Slash to Metallica and probably Katy Perry, Susan Boyle and Yo Yo Mar as well. It's everyone's favourite Aerosmith album... except mine.

I can't understand what the fuss is about. Back in the Saddle is a great song but the rest range from average to terrible. I wouldn't take the other singles (Last Child and Rats in the Cellar) over any songs on Toys and I wouldn't take dross like Combustion over pretty much anything. It sounds to me like a tepid effort by a band who expended all their ideas on their previous release.

But what do I know? Who am I to argue with every other music critic and musician who has ever lived. Apparently I'm completely wrong and you should stop listening to me now. I clearly know bugger-all and I'm wasting everyone's time, but if it's okay with you I'll waste it while listening to Toys in the Attics and putting Rocks back on the shelf. 

Influenced by: The Yardbirds
Influenced: Everyone in hard rock

Highlight: Back in the Saddle
Lowlight: Combustion

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "Aerosmith's "Rocks" is comparible to "Exile On Main Street" by the Rolling Stones insomuch as the album is a total experience, and not a bunch of hit singles."

-I'm definitely out of step with this guy. 

So does this rock or not? Let me know below.

2 comments:

  1. Don't kid yourself, you're doing a great job, and don't worry, you're not wasting our time at all! For the record, although I like this album, I too enjoy Toys in the Attic far more than this one. So you are surely not the only one.

    ReplyDelete