Thursday, June 26, 2014

37 Hotel California (1976) The Eagles




1. Hotel California
2. New Kid in Town
3. Life in the Fast Lane
4. Wasted Time
5. Wasted Time (Reprise)
6. Victim of Love
7. Pretty Maids All in a Row
8. Try and Love Again
9. The Last Resort

As I type this the Eagles are on the road somewhere. They're engaging on a massive concert tour which they anticipate taking several years to complete. They'll tromp around the world playing to hordes of fans all of whom are over 50 and capable of paying $400 for the privilege. Somewhere you can imagine the following conversation taking place...

Hey we've got a spare ticket to see The Eagles.

Welcome to The Hotel California! Such a lovely place!

Yeah that's them.

You can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

Are you interested?

Yeah I'd love to see Hotel California performed live. That song is an absolute classic. It gets stuck in your head like nothing else. Hell yeah I'd love to see that.

Of course they won't perform it first, you'd probably have to wait for the encore. They'll do other stuff first.

Life in the fast lane! I love that song. I love the way it goes Life in the fast lane... and then Life in the fast lane and... how else does it go?

Actually I think that's it. I think that's kind of all it does.

Oh. Well they must have lots of other great songs as well.

Oh yeah. Heaps of them. Like....

Um....

Oh they have New Kid in Town. That's another one.

Isn't that the one that's kind of dull and feels like it goes on forever?

Yeah. Now you mention it that kind of sums it up.

But for memory it's not as bad as the one that follows that has the overblown strings and then feels the need to reprise itself.

Knowing them they'll have a string section with them as well. So they'll have a chance to be kind of overblown onstage.

And they'll play The Last Resort, that song goes on forever. It just doesn't stop.

Actually now you mention it I'm kind of luke warm about the whole idea myself.

They will play those short guitar solos exactly the way they play them on the album.

And there's always the chance they'll descend into a fight onstage because they really, really hate each other.

Basically what you're asking is: do I want to pay a lot of money to see a bunch of old guys recreate songs that they're bored to tears with in a live setting?

Yes. Yes I am.

But ...Hotel California.

Yeah... Hotel California.

What the hell, just let me go mortgage my house.


All over the world there are people who have paid good money to sit in an auditorium and patiently wait for some of the people who recorded Hotel California to play it for them. That's their right but I don't think many of them have gone away thinking they've got their money's worth.

Favourite Amazon Customer Review Quote: "This Album is why I started listening to Punk."

-To be honest, this album is a big part of why you have punk to listen to.

So did you enjoy your stay at Hotel California? Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment